Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Flash 1x10 "Revenge of the Rogues" Review

"Fire and Ice"




The Hype

"Captain Cold and his hotheaded partner Heat Wave plot to steal a multi-million dollar painting and try to lure the Flash into a battle of fire and ice by kidnapping someone close to him"

My Favorite Villain of this season's first half and one of the few who was not a throw away is returning to terrorize Central City once again. The Flash is off to a pretty strong start in it's freshmen season although there were a few stumbles along the way. but in the mid-season premiere we are promised more stakes. more drama. and more action all leading to a "Big Twist Ending".




The Review

 The Flash's return is anticlimactic to say the least. Right away it feels like we've been down this path before and a scripted drama with only 10 episodes should have no hint of repetitiveness There's little development in the Biris (airy?) love story, other than Berry going around telling his friends that he confessed his feelings, and getting different variations of the same advice. Matter of fact, this whole episode seems inconsequential. We spend a good amount of run time with Firestorm...er at least talking about him, yet there are no developments and  our villains are captured just to be released again. The Flash spends an hour accomplishing a dialogue exchange worth of changes. "Hey everyone's seen the flash and it's more dangerous now, PS he lives with his dad again." Congratulations your completely caught up for episode 11!

"Prepare for Hate Mail!"

This week we officially have a Villain Team up with Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller) and Heatwave (Dominic Purcell). Yes, the Prison Break brothers, and as the title suggests this is our first step to the formation of Rogues. Think of them as Flash's own legion of doom. The special effects and visuals worked very well. Unfortunately that's about the only good thing from our villains this week. 
"Ice to meet you"


The performances were just bad, i'm extremely disappointed in both actors as I know these guys are capable of much more. The role preparation seems to consist of "Oh, i'm the bad guy? OK, i'll be real serious and drag out my words, that's what villains do!" this is a problem that could easily be attributed to poor direction. However, even if the director was completely absent in this department a good (trying) actor would take it upon themselves to develop they're character in their own mind and bring it life rather than lumbering through  lines until the check arrives.

"Too Cool for (acting) School"


 I'm gonna be completely honest with you, because your took the time to read this and I love you for that. I almost didn't write this review, I thought I had nothing to say about this episode. I get a lot of criticism when I write a negative review and it makes me second guess myself, maybe it wasn't so bad, maybe I wasn't considering all the factors, maybe my criticism is unreasonable. I am 100% sure this is not the case here. I did not Enjoy this episode, plain and simple. It was mediocre, and felt like a waste of time. Especially since us fans have been waiting almost a month for a continuation f a story. 

Disagree with me? Think i'm on drugs? drop your opinion in the comments below!

"it's okay Berry, there's always next week."

The Verdict

    6.2  Mediocre